Every year in the US:
- at least 2 million Americans contract antibiotic resistant infections,
- at least 23,000 Americans die of those infections, and
- at least $55 billion are lost due to excess hospital costs and lost productivity.
Misusing and overusing antibiotics can accelerate the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
70% of the medically important antibiotics sold in the US are sold for use to raise chickens, hogs, and cattle on factory farms. It is estimated that
- Most of these antibiotics are NOT used to treat sick animals.
- Most of these antibiotics ARE used to make the animals grow faster or to compensate for the unsanitary and crowded conditions on the factory farms.